_ Momoca _
Her affinity for all of the arts has led her to explore many different fields, from millinery and fashion, to painting and ceramics, to photography and art installations. Born and raised in Japan, Momoca began sewing at the age of six, when she started designing dresses and accessories for her dolls; in high school she specialized in fashion design. Wanting to see other parts of the world, she left Japan and moved to California to study fine art.
Momoca later opened a shop in Berkeley, CA, selling hats, clothing, and artworks of her own design. The store was open for ten years, during which she collaborated with multiple brands, including the Adidas Concept Store, Vidal Sassoon, and Redbull. In 2006 she was recognized as the “Best San Francisco Designer.”
These days, Momoca’s signature material is transparent paper, which she uses to create both 2-D paintings and 3-D objects. Her background in pattern making of hats and clothing, as well as the Origami all Japanese children learn, inspire her to create imaginative paper plant installations and decorations that are often vegetables, fruits, and flowers. She works with Alice Waters at Chez Panisse and Stanlee Gatti events, to name a few.
She works with transparent paper for its delicate, uncertain, yet flexible quality, a similarity she experiences in her travels - seeing through what is in front of her, guessing at what is underneath, and imaging what is real and what is illusion. Her artwork is a way for her to digest and reflect on her memories of traveling, which overlap and fade over time, becoming patterns of memory.
Paper may be the most basic of materials, but it has many different attributes and dramatically changes depending on the substance with which it interacts. Despite its apparent restrictions and simplicity, paper is incredibly versatile and Momoca explores all of its various properties.
Momoca’s art is most inspired by her travel experiences and the people she meets along the way.
* The Crown, Oakland CA USA 2019
* Erica Tanov, Berkeley CA USA 2019
* Dessin, Nakameguro Tokyo JAPAN 2018
* Shozo Tonari-Gallery, Kuroiso Tochigi JAPAN 2018
* FOG Design+Art at Fort Mason San Francisco, CA USA 2017
* Fandesckais, San Francisco, CA. USA 2006
* Anno Domini, San Jose, CA. USA 2002
* Underwater Paper Plants Installation at La Porte Peinte, Bourgogne, France 2019
* Paper Garland and Paper flowers installation at Camino Restaurant, Oakland CA USA 2018
* Paper Wisteria Installation at Chez Panisse Restaurant, Berkeley CA USA2018
* Paper Plants Installation at La Porte Peinte, Bourgogne, France 2017
* Fashion Show Stage Design with Papers for Creative Growth Art Center, Oakland CA 2017
* Paper Pumpkin Installation at La Cornue showroom, Paris France 2017
* Paper Lemon Installation at Chez Panisse Restaurant, Berkeley CA USA 2017
* Paper Radish Installation at Chez Panisse Restaurant, Berkeley, CA USA 2016
ARTIST IN RESIDENCE
* La Porte Peinte pour les Arts, Noyers Sur Serein, France 2019
* La Porte Peinte pour les Arts, Noyers Sur Serein, France 2017
* La Porte Peinte pour les Arts, Noyers Sur Serein, France 2016
* Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising San Francisco (FIDM)
* San Francisco Art Institute
* Best San Francisco Fashion Designer, 2006 by SF Weekly
* Chic-est Women's Clothing Store, 2005 by East Bay Express
* Adidas Concept Store, San Francisco - Clothing Design, 2008 ~ 2012
* Vidal Sasoon, San Francisco - Hair Show/Clothing Design, 2008
* Red Bull - San Francisco Love Parade Fashion show/Clothing Design, 2002
* anan Japan
* Soma Magazine
* Seventeen Magazine
* San Francisco Examiner
* San Francisco Chronicle
* 7 x 7 Magazine
* East Bay Express
* Bridge USA
* Asian Weekly
© 2019 Momoca. All Rights Reserved.