"Momoca is a designer/artist. In the past, her work has ranged from sophisticated hair accessories and dresses, to paintings, ceramics, and art installations.
Born and raised in Japan, Momoca began sewing at the age of six, when she started designing dresses and accessories for her dolls; in high school she specialized in fashion design. Wanting to see other parts of the world, she left Japan and moved to California to study fine art.
Momoca opened a shop by the same name in Berkeley, CA, selling hats, clothing, bags, and accessories of her own design. The store was open for ten years, during which she was recognized several times, including as Best San Francisco Designer in 2006. She has collaborated with other companies such as Adidas Concept Store, Vidal Sassoon, and Redbull.
Currently she creates unique installations and objects for spaces and events, collaborating with the client to ensure a comprehensive theme and a one-of-a-kind experience. Momoca creates everything for the event, from the decorations to the centerpieces, to the calligraphic place cards and menu, to the extraordinary party favors. She has worked on events with the likes of Alice Waters and Stanlee Gatti, to name a few.
Momoca’s material of choice these days is paper. When Alice Waters approached her to help with the Edible Schoolyard Project, the idea of using paper came out of convenience, but she soon realized that her background in hat and pattern making, as well as the origami all Japanese children learn, had given her a set of valuable skills. In the years since, working with paper has become a passion.
Paper is the most basic of materials, but it has many different attributes and changes drastically depending on the substance with which it interacts. Despite its apparent restrictions and simplicity, the world of paper art is incredibly versatile and Momoca is exploring all of its various properties.
Momoca realized that what inspires her most is traveling and now spends her summers working and traveling in Europe and her winters mostly in the US.
* FOG Design+Art at Fort Mason San Francisco, CA 2017
* Fandesckais, San Francisco, CA. 2006
* Anno Domini, San Jose, CA. 2002
* Stage Design for Creative Growth Art Center, Oakland CA 2017
* Paper Lemon Installation at Chez Panisse Restaurant, Berkeley CA 2017
* Paper Radish Installation at Chez Panisse Restaurant, Berkeley, CA 2016
ARTIST IN RESIDENCEY
* La Porte Peinte, Noyers Sur Serein, France 2017
* La Porte Peinte, Noyers Sur Serein, France 2016
* Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising San Francisco (FIDM)
* San Francisco Art Institute
* Best San Francisco Designer, 2006 by SF Weekly.
* Chic-est women's clothing store, 2005 by East Bay Express.
* Soma Magazine
* Seventeen Magazine
* San Francisco Examiner
* San Francisco Chronicle
* 7 x 7 Magazine
* East Bay Express
* Bridge USA
* Asian Weekly
© 2000 ~ 2018 Momoca. All Rights Reserved.